ABOUT WIT ONLINE JOURNAL
Gwynn MacDonald and Deborah Savadge
Martha Wade Steketee, Editor 2014-2015
Allison Lyman, Editor 2014-2015
Eliza Bent, Editor 2012-2014
Alexis Clements, Editor 2012-2014
Welcome to Women in Theatre Online, a publication founded and supported by the League of Professional Theatre Women.
WIT covers the ways in which women enrich and think critically about theatre. As your new editors, launching our tenure with the new season, we look forward to continuing the ground-breaking work of previous editors and building on the foundations they’ve laid.
WIT’s collaboration with HowlRound, which began in 2012, expands our readership and serves as a model for work with additional partners that will increase our access to content and broaden our perspective.
The role of women in theatre has never been so examined and quantified as it is today. Journalism is in flux as well. WIT Online favors no one journalistic genre nor any single viewpoint on our field. Our goal is to use whatever tool is at hand to write about the art and craft and commerce of theatre, adding to the dialogue that has become a global discussion on women in theater.
The League of Professional Theatre Women is a not-for-profit organization that seeks to promote visibility and increase opportunities for women in the Professional Theatre. We do this through numerous programs and events. Please take a look throughout this site to find out all that we do for women in theatre.
The League of Professional Theatre Women, Inc. is:
- An advocacy organization for reinforcing the positive image of, promoting the visibility of, and increasing the opportunities for women in the arts and entertainment industries, more particularly the professional theatre, thereby enriching the culture with the infusion of women’s creativity.
- A support system for women in theatre, in which they serve as resources for each other by mutual sharing of experiences, insights and work.
- A center for the exchange of information and skills that women can utilize in their careers.
- A means of linking women in the professional theatre with colleagues in college and university theatres, and with women in other performing arts organizations in the United States and abroad.
- A forum for ideas relating to art and its effect on society.
The views and opinions expressed in WIT ONLINE are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the League of Professional Theatre Women.